Friday, June 6, 2008

Current Events Reflection

I did learn a lot by having to do current events every week, although I did not always feel enthusiastic about it; at the beginning of the year when the current events bookmarks were assigned, I though "Oh god, just another stupid thing I'm going to have hanging over my head the WHOLE. ENTIRE. YEAR." But once I actually found good sources, I didn't mind at all, and I was happy to know what was going on in the world and not feel like an ignorant teenager. I read Newsweek before we started doing current events, but that's more focused on events in America, so by having to do the bookmarks, I was finding out more about what was going on in the world and was able to understand some of the things happening in the world more. I could have learned more about current events, maybe, if I had to do more than one region every week, or if i had to research one story that I found every week; not necessarily more, but it would be more in depth on one subject. I think that the bookmarks are the best way to get a good balance of current events and history, though; if we had to do more work for current events, it would be too much focus on that and not enough in history. Next time, I would try to branch out with my sources. I had a few sources, but I mostly used bbcnews.com, so it would probably be better to try to get information from other places as well that might have different perspectives or ways of writing about stories. What could be improved on Mr. Scott's part is the Wikispaces summaries at the end of each quarter; I never really felt like I knew exactly what was expected of me when doing them, and we never got our grades, so I didn't know what I was doing right or wrong. A little more clarity on the instructions would be nice next time. I do think that I will keep reading the news. I like knowing what's going on in different parts of the world; it's important to be aware of your surroundings in order to be a balanced person with a good understanding of the world.

No comments: